Tasty, healthy recipes for everyday.
Valentines Shortbread Sandwiches
Time: 50min | Serves: 12
250g plain flour
80g rice flour
20g icing sugar
85g caster sugar or coconut sugar
210g butter, chopped into cubes
1/4 cup plain flour, extra for dusting
For the Topping:
250g dark chocolate, melted
Freeze dried raspberries (optional)
Mayver’s Smooth Peanut Butter for drizzling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celsius, fan force, and line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- In a bowl, combine the flours, sugars & salt and whisk to combine dry ingredients.
- Add in the cubed butter and using your fingertips, press together until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Pour dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Roll dough out until it is 1.5cm thick, and use a heart shaped cutter to cut out cookies, from the outside of the dough inward in order to maximise space.
- Place cookies on prepared trays and bake for 40 minutes, swapping trays in the oven half way through.
- Remove cookies from the oven when ready or golden on top.
- Whilst cookies are cooling, prepare your filling by beating or whisking together the peanut butter and coconut oil. Ensure ingredients are well combined.
- Place filling in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Once filling is ready and cookies are cooled, use a spoon or piping bag to place filling on one love heart cookie. Top/ close sandwich with a second cookie.
- Once you have made all your cookie sandwiches, place in the refrigerator for 1 hour to allow filling to further set.
- Once the cookies are ready to remove from the fridge, place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high in 30 second increments until chocolate has melted.
- Dip one side of the cookie sandwich into the melted chocolate and place back onto the lined tray. Repeat the process with all cookies and place in the fridge for a final time in order to allow the chocolate to set. NOTE: if you are topping with freeze dried fruit, do so before you place chocolate dipped cookies in the fridge.
- Once set, serve and enjoy!