Tasty, healthy recipes for everyday.
Asian Quinoa Salad With Peanut Sauce
Time: 35 mins | Serves: 2 - 4
¾ cup uncooked quinoa or millet
1 ½ cups water
2 cups shredded purple cabbage
1 cup sliced kale
1 cup thinly sliced snow peas or sugar snap peas
½ cup chopped coriander
¼ thinly sliced red chilli
1 thinly sliced green onion
2 stalks of celery sliced
1 cucumber sliced
¼ cup chopped roasted and salted peanuts, for garnish
1 block of tofu chopped (250g)
¼ cup Mayver’s Smooth Peanut Butter
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
½ lime, juiced (about 1 ½ tbsp)
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1. First, rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh colander under running water. Cook as directed on quinoa packet. Set it aside to cool.
2. Whisk together the peanut butter and tamari until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth. If the mixture seems too thick to toss into the salad, whisk in a bit of water to loosen it up.
3. In a large serving bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, shredded cabbage, kale, chilli, snow peas, coriander, celery, cucumber and green onion. Toss to combine, then pour in the peanut sauce. Toss again until everything is lightly coated in sauce. Taste, and if it doesn’t taste quite amazing yet, add a pinch of salt and toss again.
4. With the leftover marinade soak the tofu into it and add some more soy sauce. Leave to marinate for 10-20min.
5. Lightly fry the tofu in a pan until golden on each side (flipping regularly).
6. Divide into individual bowls and garnish with peanuts.
7. This salad keeps well, covered and refrigerated, for about 4 days.
Fantastic recipe by @jessicaanneh