Tasty, healthy recipes for everyday.
Tahini Cauliflower Steaks
Time: 60 minutes | Serves: 4
gf df v sf
Download your FREE recipe book!
For the Cauliflower:
- 1 large head of cauliflower, trimmed of leaves – stem on!
- 3 tbsp Mayver’s Unhulled Tahini
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- ½ tbsp cumin + smoked paprika
- ½ tsp turmeric, cinnamon + cardamom
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Cracked pepper, to taste
- 2/3 cup basmati rice, rinsed thoroughly
- 500g cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Extra lemon juice, for drizzling
- Fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Start by preheating your oven to 175C.
- Wash the cherry tomatoes and place on a lined baking tray. Roast for about 20-25 minutes, or until split and blistered. Set aside.
- Turn the oven up to 220C and prepare the cauliflower: Slice the cauliflower down through the florets into slices about 1 – 1 ½ inch thick. Note: I got 3 big ‘steaks’. Set aside the parts that break off though, as you will still use these! Carefully arrange on a new baking tray lined with paper, using the ‘offcuts’ to fill in the gaps.
- Combine Mayver’s Unhulled Tahini, lemon, water and olive oil until a smooth paste forms, then mix in the herbs and spices. Taste, and adjust as needed.
- Dollop small bits of Mayver’s Unhulled Tahini mix onto sections of the cauliflower, and with clean hands, ‘paint’ the top of the cauliflower, as well as the edges, getting into as many of the gaps between the florets as you can. Carefully move the painted cauliflower onto a newly lined baking tray, and repeat for the remaining ‘steaks’. Any extra chunks of cauliflower can be completely coated. Be sure to keep about a third of Mayver’s Unhulled Tahini mixture aside – this will be used later.
- Roast the cauliflower for 20 minutes. While this is happening, cook the rice according to packet directions, and steam the peas. Drain them both, and in a large mixing bowl, combine them with the roast tomatoes. Set aside.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven, and gently flip the ‘steaks’ over. Do this by lightly sandwiching them between 2 spatulas, and quickly flipping then sliding back onto the tray. Turn the remaining florets so their bare sides are now facing up.
- Using the remaining Mayver’s Unhulled Tahini mix, paint the bare side, and roast for a further 20 minutes, or until browned and cooked through. Some of the broken parts may need to be taken out of the oven earlier, but use your judgement here.
- Once everything is ready, serve with the cauliflower on a base of the rice mix, and top with any extras you desire.
- Thanks to Ash from Inner Pickle for this amazing recipe!